What is Springs Hosting’s Acceptable Use Policy?
Acceptable Use Policy (“AUP”)
Last Edited: March 8, 2013 – Version 1.0
By using our Colocation Facility, Dedicated Servers, Managed Services, Web Hosting Servers, and/or any other Springs Hosting Services or Facilities, you agree to comply with the Springs Hosting Acceptable Use Policy (“AUP”). You are expected to use the Internet with respect, courtesy, and responsibility, giving due regard to the rights of other Internet users. Springs Hosting expects the Customer to have a basic knowledge of how the Internet functions, the types of uses which are generally acceptable, and the types of uses which are to be avoided. Common sense is the best guide as to what is considered acceptable use.
- ILLEGAL USE. By using Springs Hosting services, Customer agrees to comply with our AUP. The Springs Hosting Network may be used only for lawful purposes. Transmission, distribution or storage of any material in violation of any applicable law or regulation is prohibited. Springs Hosting Services may not be used in connection with any criminal or civil violations of state, federal, or international laws, regulations, or other government requirements. This includes, without limitation, material protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret or other intellectual property of any type used without proper authorization, fraud, forgery, theft or misappropriation of funds, credit cards, or personal information, threats of physical harm or harassment, and material that is obscene, defamatory, constitutes child pornography, constitutes an illegal threat, or violates export control laws. Springs Hosting is the sole arbiter as to what constitutes a violation of this provision.
- INTERPRETATION. The provisions of this AUP are intended as guidelines and are not meant to be exhaustive. Generally, conduct that violates law, regulation, or the accepted norms of the Internet community, whether or not expressly mentioned in this AUP, is prohibited. Springs Hosting reserves the right at all times to prohibit activities that damage its commercial reputation and goodwill.
- SYSTEM AND NETWORK SECURITY. Violations of system or network security are prohibited, and may result in criminal and civil liability. Springs Hosting can investigate incidents involving such violations and may involve and will cooperate with law enforcement if a criminal violation is suspected. Such investigations may require the examination of electronic information stored on or passing over Springs Hosting Network. During the investigation, Springs Hosting may restrict Customer’s access in order to prevent further possible unauthorized activity. Examples of violations of system and network security include, but are not limited to the following:
Unauthorized access to or use of data, systems, or networks, including any attempt to probe, scan, or test the vulnerability of a system or network or to breach or circumvent the security or authentication measures without express authorization of the owner of the system or network.
Interference with service to any user, host or network including, without limitation, mail bombing, flooding, deliberate attempts to overload a system and broadcast attacks.
Unauthorized monitoring of data or traffic on any network or system without express authorization of the owner of the system or network.
Forging of any TCP-IP packet header or any part of the header information in any email or a newsgroup posting.
Employ posts or programs which consume excessive CPU time or storage space, permits the use of mail services, mail forwarding capabilities, POP accounts, or auto responders other than for Customer’s account; or resale of access to CGI scripts installed on Springs Hosting servers.
- EMAIL. Sending unsolicited commercial mail including, without limitation, commercial advertising and informational announcements, is explicitly prohibited. A user shall not use another site’s mail server to relay mail without the express permission of the site or distributing, advertising or promoting software or services that have the primary purpose of encouraging or facilitating unsolicited commercial E-mail or spam.
- It is contrary to Springs Hosting Policy for Customer to use our servers to effect or participate in any of the following activities.
- To post to any Usenet or other newsgroup, forum, e-mail mailing list or other similar group or list articles which are off-topic according to the charter or other owner-published FAQ or description of the group or list.
- To send unsolicited mass e-mailings, if such unsolicited e-mailings provoke complaints from the recipients.
- To engage in any of the foregoing activities using the service of another provider, but channeling such activities through a Springs Hosting provided server, or using a Springs Hosting provided server as a mail drop for responses.
- To falsify user information provided to Springs Hosting or to other users of the service in connection with use of a Springs Hosting service.
When Springs Hosting becomes aware of an alleged violation of this AUP, Springs Hosting will initiate an investigation. During the investigation Springs Hosting may restrict Customer’s access in order to prevent further possible unauthorized activity. If the customer is found in violation of our AUP, Springs Hosting may, at its sole discretion, restrict, suspend, or terminate Customer’s account and/or pursue other civil remedies. Springs Hosting reserves the right to pursue civil remedies for any costs associated with the investigation of a substantiated policy violation. If such violation is a criminal offense, Springs Hosting will notify the appropriate law enforcement department of such violation.
The Customer shall be held liable for any and all costs incurred by Springs Hosting as a result of the Customer’s violation of this AUP. This is including, but is not limited to, attorney fees and costs resulting from Postmaster responses to complaints from and the cleanup of unsolicited commercial mailings and/or unauthorized bulk mailings and/or news server violations. First violations will result in a Cleanup Fee of $250 and the customer’s account will be reviewed for possible immediate termination. A second violation will result in Cleanup Fee of $500 and immediate termination of the customer’s account. The customer who violates this Policy agrees to also pay Investigation Fees of no more than $150 per hour that Springs Hosting personnel must spend to investigate any violations.
- TORTUOUS CONDUCT. Customer will not post defamatory, scandalous, violent or private information about a person without their consent, intentionally, inflicting emotional distress, or violate trademarks, copyrights, or other intellectual property rights.
- ADULT CONTENT. Springs Hosting does not host sites with adult content, and reserves the right to determine what is and is not of adult nature. Should you have any questions, ask before proceeding with your order.
- HATE PROMOTION. Springs Hosting will not host a site promoting hatred, and reserves the right to determine what is and is not hate promotion. Should you have any questions, ask before proceeding with your order.
- CONSEQUENCES. Violations of this AUP may result in a demand for immediate removal of offending material, immediate temporary or permanent filtering, blocked access, suspension or termination of the services, or other action appropriate to the violation, as determined by Springs Hosting in its sole discretion. When feasible, it is Springs Hosting’s preference to give notice so that violations may be addressed voluntarily; however, Springs Hosting reserves the right to act without notice when necessary, as determined by Springs Hosting in its sole discretion. Springs Hosting may involve, and will cooperate with, law enforcement if criminal activity is suspected. Violators may also be subject to civil or criminal liability under applicable law. Refunds or credits are not issued in connection with actions taken for violations of this AUP.
- MODIFICATION. Springs Hosting reserves the right to add, delete, or modify any provision of this AUP at any time, effective upon posting of the modified AUP on the Springs Hosting website (“springshosting.com”).
- REPORTING. Any party seaking to report any violations to the Springs Hosting AUP may contact support.
For more information or for clarification of something before signing up for an account with us, you can contact us directly.